Monday, January 15, 2018

In The Words Of Bishop Tommie A. Murphy

On November 12, 2017, I was blessed to be consecrated to the office of Bishop in the Churches of God in Christ. This is the second largest Pentecostal church in the United States and it is arguably the largest Pentecostal church in the world.  The Church of God in Christ is second in the United States in size by membership to the Assemblies of God Churches, which as you all know was birthed out of the Churches of God in Christ.

These facts among others clearly make this episcopal ascendency a significant honor. I have been a part of this church since February 1978, when I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. It was several months after this when I was attending UNC-Asheville as a first semester college student, and serving in the church as a deacon, the Lord spoke to me one Friday night and told me that if  ”I took care of HIS business, HE would take care of my business.”

I committed to obeying God's voice and since that day the Lord has continued to do great things in my life. I experienced elevation and promotion both secularly and in the episcopacy. I mention this because of the imperative (necessity) to convey that this blessing is certainly not something I would say I deserve, but a position I would declare I am able to experience by the grace of God!

This ascension means that I will continue to serve my leader, Bishop LeRoy Jackson Woolard, the Prelate of Greater North Carolina Jurisdiction in my current capacity as one of his Administrative Assistants, Greater North Carolina Jurisdictional Chief Financial Officer(CFO) and as the Superintendent of the E. C. Cannon Memorial District.


This, as all things that happen in my life positively, I give God ALL the Glory!  It has certainly been one of the most humbling experiences of my life, and I thank God for the entire New Bethel Church family for making this moment for my wife, daughters, and me so incredibly precious. 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment