Monday, April 16, 2018

How Giving Has Blessed My Life

In America today, when people say they were blessed because of their giving money to the church they very often mean that because of their giving, God miraculously poured out money or some other valuable materials that they needed and/or wanted.
I would agree that it is hard to give an example of someone in the Bible who was godly and materially wealthy, but was not a liberal giver. For example, in Genesis chapter 14, Abram gave a tithe to the man of God and due to his giving of tithes and offerings; God gave him great material goods. But I'd like to look beyond the very valid examples like Abram, and focus on an additional blessing that comes to all of us, rich and poor, when we give unto the work of the Lord.
One alternate translation I've heard for the word "Blessed" ("makarios" in Greek) is to be happy.
One of the things that have caused me to believe in giving to God's churches has been the attitude I've witnessed when I would see my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents give to ministry. The happiness (or blessedness) you could see on their faces when they gave would make you think that someone just gave them a birthday gift. Yes, they knew that God would bless them materially if they maintained a liberal heart, but the immediate happiness they exuded had much to do with their joy in being able to share in supporting a godly ministry that they loved and believed in.
God really doesn't need my money, but when I give to the godly ministry I'm affiliated with, it's as if I'm sharing my substance with Christ, the one whom I love and hold most dear above all relationships. Because of that love, when I give, my happiness (blessedness) is immediate and manifests before I receive any of the miracles of material blessings.

Regards,
Shawn D. Jackson

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment